Edward C. Clarkson
85 5th St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30332
1414 Oakridge Circle
Decatur, GA 30033
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA
- B.S., summa cum laude, June 2000
- Majors in Mathematics and Computer Science (GPA 3.87/4.0, +/- scale)
- Phi Beta Kappa, Darnall W. Boyd Honor Scholarship, Clifford Williams Honor Scholarship, National Merit.
- Advisors: Profs. Paul Bourdon (Math) and Tom Whaley (CS)
Graduate Research Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant
- CS 4750: User Interface Design (Elaine Huang, Instr.), Summer 2004
- CS 4611/7611: AI Problem Solving (Ashok Goel, Prof.), Spring 2004
- The Weather Channel, Atlanta, GA
- R&D Intern - Weather Data Visualization, Summer 2007
- IBM Corporation, Research Triangle Park, NC
Enterprise Network Computing, z/OS Operating System Division
- Software Engineer, Aug. 2000-July 2003: Involved with design, development and test of various components of the TCP/IP application stack for the z/OS mainframe environment (BIND DNS server and TCP/IP MLS specifically).
, Foley, J. and Desai, K. ResultMaps: Visualization for Search Interfaces. Accepted to Proceedings of InfoVis '09
. (26% acceptance)
, Navathe, S. and Foley, J. Generalized Formal Models for Faceted User Interfaces. In Proceedings of JCDL '09
, pp. 125-134. (Best Paper Nominee - 28% acceptance)
and Arkin, R. Applying Heuristic Evaluation to Human-Robot Interaction Systems. In Proceedings of FLAIRS '07
, pp. 44 - 49.
, Lyons, K., Clawson, J. and Starner, T. Revisiting and Validating a Model of Two-Thumb Text Entry. In Proceedings of CHI '07
, pp 163 - 166. (22% acceptance)
Clawson, J., Lyons, K., Starner, T. and Clarkson, E
. The Impacts of Limited Visual Feedback on Mobile Text Entry for the Twiddler and MiniQWERTY Keyboards. In Proc. of ISWC '05
. (Best Paper Nominee - 25% acceptance)
, Clawson, J., Lyons, K. and Starner, T. An Empirical Study of Typing Rates on mini-QWERTY Keyboards. In CHI '05 Extended Abstracts
, pp. 1288 - 1291. (25% acceptance)
Conference Workshop/Colloquia Papers
and Foley, J. Augmenting Digital Library Search Interfaces with Visual Analysis Tools. In 2007 IEEE Visualization Doctoral Colloquium.
and Foley, J. ResultMaps: Search Result Visualization for Hierarchical Information Spaces. In Proceedings of the CHI '07 Workshop on Exploratory Search and HCI
, pp. 32 - 39.
, Day, J. and Foley, J. An Educational Digital Library for Human-Centered Computing. In CHI '06 Extended Abstracts
, pp. 646-651. (pdf
and Foley, J. Browsing Affordance Designs for the Human-Centered Computing Education Digital Library. In JCDL '06 Extended Abstracts
, p. 361.
, Patel, S., Pierce, J. and Abowd, G. Application of Continuous Pressure Input to Mobile Interaction. GVU Tech Report GIT-GVU-06-20. (pdf
and Arkin, R. Applying Heuristic Evaluation to Human-Robot Interaction Systems. GVU Tech Report GIT-GVU-06-08. (pdf
, Day, J. and Foley, J. The Development of an Educational Digital Library for Human-Centered Computing. GVU Tech Report GIT-GVU-05-33. (pdf
Clarkson, E. Complex Plot: a Visual Aid for Plotting Analytic Functions. Washington and Lee Journal of Science 1(1), pp. 31-34.
- Reviewer: International Journal on Digital Libraries, UIST 2005, CHI 2006, CHI 2007, CHI 2008
- Student Volunteer: JCDL 2006
- Member: ACM, IEEE, CHI Atlanta