- 8oz of bacon, diced
- 2 packets of sauerkraut (something like Boar's Head).
- 8 juniper berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 splash of vinegar (white or rice)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2-4 Tablespoons of mashed potato mix
- Saute the diced bacon to let out the fat.
- Add everything except mashed potato mix.
- Simmer for at least 2 hours with the lid open to let water evaporate. If too much evaporates, add more. Basically, the more you cook sauerkraut, the better it tastes. Feel free to cook it a day early and then cook it another hour on the day you are serving; reheating is actually good for it.
- Towards the end, add the mashed potato mix to soak up more of the remaining liquid. Remove the bay leaves and juniper berries (if you can find them).
- Taste it. If it's too sour, add sugar. If it's not sour enough, add vinegar.