- swiss cheese
- Mount Olive's sandwich pickles
- Cuban bread
- 1 tomato
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 pork loin.
- 2 juice oranges (e.g., Valencia).
- 2 lemons
- 1 small onion
- 2 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 4 Tbsp. Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- mayonaisse (flavorful is good)
- deli-style mustard
- white peppercorns
- black pepper
- dried thyme
- dried oregano
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- The Pork Loin
- Dress the loin liberally with salt and pepper. With a sharp knive, regularly cut little X-shaped holes into the meat; insert one white pepper corn into each hole. It should probably be about 20 pepper corns.
- In a hot pan, sear the loin on all sides, until it is GBD (golden brown and delicious).
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a baking dish that'll nicely hold the pork loin, add 3 Tbsp. of olive oil, the juice of 2 lemons, the juice of two oranges, half-an onion (diced), 1 Tbsp. dried thyme, 1 Tbsp. dried oregano, and 2 Tbsp. salt; mix thoroughly.
- Add the seared pork loin to the baking dish and cook in the oven for one hour, turning the meat every 15 minutes.
- After cooking, remove the meat from the baking dish and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- The Sauce
- In a small sauce pan, add 3 Tbsp. olive oil. Add 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced. Cook on medium-low until the garlic starts to brown. Remove garlic pieces and throw away. Add half of the small onion. Sweat the onion (2-3 minutes). Add half of the Jalapeno (or Serrano). Continue sweating for 1 minute. Take off from heat and let it cool down.
- In a blender, blend the sauce with 3 Tbsp. mayonaisse, 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, 1/2 tsp. white vine vinegar, 1 tsp. salt, and 4 Tbsp. Italian parsley.
- Putting it together
- Slice the pork loin into 1/4 inch slices.
- Slice bread in half length-wise.
- In a frying pan, sear the ham.
- Add sauce to bottom bread. Add deli-style mustard to the top bread.
- Assemble the sandwich: bottom bread, one layer of Swiss cheese, one layer of pork-loin, one layer of ham, and top bread.
- Heat two cast-iron skillets for pressing. In one, add butter. Once both pans are hot, add the sandwiches to the buttered pan. Butter the top of the bread (you must do this or the bread will stick). Place the other hot pan on top of the sandwiches. Smoosh the bread together. Let cook for 3-4 minutes (i.e., until the cheese has melted).
- Separate the sandwich. Add the pickle between the pork loin and the ham. Add the tomato, lettuce, and extra diced jalapeno to above the ham.